Monday, August 8, 2016

Freedom From Perfection


by Whitney Jones

What is perfectionism?

“Perfectionism is the need to be – or to appear – perfect. Perfectionists are persistent, detailed and organized high achievers. They vary in their behaviors; some strive to conceal their imperfections, others attempt to project an image of perfection. But all have in common extremely high standards for themselves or for others.” according to Gordon Flett, professor of psychology at York University in Toronto.

I am always striving for perfection. Perfectionism is difficult to overcome, because it seems being perfect is what is expected. Be a supermom and pour into my children daily. Be without clutter and make sure my house is in tip top shape. Be a wife and spend quality time with my husband. Be a fulltime everything–wife, mother, career woman. And work out, and be happy at all times. That is a lot to ask of one person. But we still feel like we must reach this level of excellence to fit into this world.

 But sadly I am not perfect. I fail daily. I fail at being a wife, mother, career woman. Being perfect is something I will never obtain. One way that has helped me get over the guilt when my life feels messy and far from perfect is to focus on what God has done and is doing in my life.

“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

2 Corinthians 12:9

 Freedom from perfection comes when I surrender my need for being perfect and rest in Him.

So today, I’m making a promise to myself, which I may need to make again tomorrow. To not let myself be burdened by what this world considers “perfect”. Accept that I am weak. Accept that I need Christ daily. Accept that Christ came into this world to save me.

Will you make this promise to gain freedom from perfection?

No comments:

Post a Comment